Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sunday Sweets: Threadcakes 2011

Sunday, July 31, 2011

It's Threadcakes time again, peeps! This is the contest inviting you (yes, YOU) to make a cake of your favorite Threadless shirt design. There are fun prizes, and your cakes are judged by the likes of Mary Alice from Ace of Cakes, Bakerella, Bake and Destroy, and yes, even yours truly. :D

One of my favorite parts is seeing how folks interpret a 2D illustration into a 3D cake sculpture. You know, like this:
"The Friendly Spirit"



So fun. The moss is made from green coloring and ground almonds! Genius.


Here's a fun throwback to our old-school arcade pals:

"This Game Sucks"

And its 3D interpretation:

By Elina Prawito of bake-a-boo

Now I want to play Super Mario Bros.


This zombie sandwich is an adorable choice for Threadcakes:

"Breaaad"

And this little cake is to die for!

By Melissa Cody

I love how his little zombie legs are bursting through the baggie! Great detail.


You would think this next heavily detailed design would be impossible to replicate in cake:

"Carpooling is Fun!"

But this baker totally brought it to life. Adorable!

By Jessica Keller

Click on the link to read Jessica's extensive process in creating this cake. And if you think Jessica's style looks familiar, it's because she made the Yoshi cake from last year's contest!


This is a cute design on its own:

"Pros Cons"

But the baker really thought outside the (cigar) box when building this cake.


The box is made of vanilla cake with white chocolate berry swiss meringue buttercream. Mmmmm.... cigars.


There's a 2D category in the Threadcakes contest as well. This is where detail and painting really shine.

I love this original design:
"Bloombox"

So naturally, its cakey counterpart is just as fun!

That takes a steady hand.


I wouldn't want to tackle this incredibly detailed design:

"Sounds of The Ocean"

But the baker really made it pop by adding the 3D elements.


It took Leanne five days to mold all those pieces! Outstanding work.


The designs that feature comics are always fun to see as cakes.

"Captain Obvious"

The paint is key in getting the look right.

By Sarah Woodward

Sarah just graduated HIGH SCHOOL! She's really got a talent for baking and art... obviously.


This next design has a lot of detail to begin with.

"My Life is a Game (a New Stage)"

But the baker really pulled it off:

By Henry Ma


And finally, this sweet design is a great choice for a Threadcake:

"If On A Winter's Night Young Lovers"



Absolutely beautiful.

Have a Sweet to nominate? Then send it to Sunday Sweets [at] Cake Wrecks [dot] com. And don't forget to check out Threadcakes for more amazing cakes!
Anonymous said...

Oh how pretty those are-have fun judging

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I'm going to enter, too! And, would you believe it, I turned eleven today!
-Sarah

Recipes In Review said...

I could not pick a favorite. They are all winners.

Jackie

Anonymous said...

I love your Sunday posts because I am always amazed at what cake artists are doing out there. Wonderful!

VK said...

Incredible!!

Marie said...

I would hate to be the one who has to judge this contest. They are all gorgeous. Well done to the bakers.

mickeyp415 said...

wow, wow, wow! they are all beyond amazing am completely floored. i love the first one with the kitty and the car full of animals especially, but they are ALL superlative!

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow! I hope to god theose cakes werent eaten afterwards, My Mum still has one of the three cakes from their wedding, and they are married 26 years!

Romaine said...

My jaw is still on the floor! Simply outstanding does not begin to express how amazing these are!

bethalaina said...

While I had the cigar cake up on the screen, my husband looked over and asked, "Are you looking up cigars to order for the baby?" (I'm pregnant.)

It took a minute to convince him it was cake. So well-done!

Anonymous said...

Wow! All of those are great.

Anonymous said...

And you AGREED to judge this? o.O
more power to you, Jen!!

-Barbara Anne

wv (couldn't make this up)
repentie
Jen's gonna repentie about halfway through the judging process.

Anonymous said...

Yes, these are amazing. Not as cakes, but as works of art. They are more like clay sculptures than cakes. I feel the same way about the cake shows on TV. They used to be about decorating cakes. Now they do more modeling, not even using cake as the base anymore. They don't even look edible. In fact, the bakers on the shows serve another cake to the guests in most cases, so maybe they aren't. For contests, fine, but I want my cake to have more icing than modeling ingredients.

sandy said...

Tthe cakes are all astounding. But what is a threadless shirt??

Anonymous said...

Contest? You're not expecting us to make cakes like that are you? I know mine would look more like the weekday ones.

Anonymous said...

That first one looks like a cousin of a totoro! And all of them are . . . wow. Just utterly wow. I'll stick to crafting words. I'm neither creative enough nor steady enough to design and make something like those.

UnknownWarrior33 said...

I can pick a favorite quite easily. One word: BLANKA. For those who aren't familiar with Street Fighter, Blanka is the orange-haired green guy on the video game cake. I love video games, and Blanka is my favorite video game character. Woot woot!

Ms. MM said...

Oh, so good. I don't envy you as a judge though. This year is gonna be tough.

Anonymous said...

I'm so in love with the "Friendly Spirit". I want the cake and I want a plush toy. He's really great. Norine

Tiffiny Felix said...

Wow...these are so incredible! I can make pretty awesome cakes, but I couldn't even come close to competing with these and others like them. I was going to enter a cake, but now probably not. Have fun judging, though *:)*

Melissa said...

I am beyond ecstatic to have my cake make Sunday Sweets!!!!
-Melissa Cody

tiny. p. elephant said...

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful...

Anonymous said...

To Sandy: Threadless is a site where the customers can submit designs for T-shirts and the best ones are actually created. You can find some really great T's there. Cake Wrecks is how I found out about it in the first place after last year's contest. I have now picked up several T's for myself and for presents throughout this year.

The mixing of the designs and cake is totally amazing.

VTIS4ME! said...

How can you possibly decide? They are all amazing artists and the ones with all the animals so detailed are beyond my sphere of understanding! Good luck!!!

Correen said...

Those are gorgeous! I wish my cakes looked like that but sadly they don't... Something to aspire to.

Godwin said...

I think the phrase "replicate in cake" should be replaced with "Replicake". I think it would catch on!
-Kenny

Mal said...

They're all so amazing!

Brooke said...

OOh...more threadcakes please.

Carolyn said...

Rebecca did an amazing job on "The Friendly Spirit" and if she ever decided to make it out of clay, I would buy it for my office. They were all wonderful, but I just can't take my eyes off of Rebecca's design. Since I buy Threadless t-shirts all the time, these contests are always a thrill for me to see what people come up with!

Anonymous said...

my 5 year old wants to know why there are cactus on top of a funny looking strawberry. I told him it was a cake and he said "OH I WOULD not eat That!"

Jacquelyn said...

I plan on entering the Threadcakes contest myself, though I'm not sure I can compete with these works of art! ;)

Happy judging!