Monday, November 17, 2008

Sooo Corny

Monday, November 17, 2008

Cake Wrecks readers, lend me your ears!


Thank you.

I will now field questions.

You there - yes, you - go ahead. Eh? Where did this cake pop up? I believe Wreckporter Carol Ann G. spotted it at her local supermarket. Yes, she is quite the Wreck stalker these days.

Next?

Sorry, your voice is a bit husky - what did you say? Oh, WHY did they make an ear of corn cake? Aw, shucks, how should I know? Maybe they just cobbled it together at the last minute.

Yes, Colonel? You had a question? No? Well, stop frittering away my time, then! Sheesh.

Hey, why are you all groaning? Don't try to butter me up, now: I know these puns are corny, but they're not THAT bad.


By my count that's 11. Happy punting (aka pun-hunting)!
The Courteous Chihuahua said...

Yes, Jen....your puns are THAT bad!
tee, hee...
;-p

Amanda said...

We those to make me laugh?

No pun in ten did. :)

Then you got me with number 11.

:)

www.ForYourPeanut.com

Anonymous said...

Ok, it's a little chubby, but not a bad overall cake. But what the crap happened to the eyes??

Laura said...

Why, just why?

Arlynn said...

Wow... maybe someone can find a baked potato cake, and maybe a T-bone steak cake, let's round out the meal :) Yum!

bella1021 said...

haha!
I love that there is a whipped topping sticker!

nice reporting ;)

Anonymous said...

Ok, this is one of the very few times I think the cake is kind of cute. Would I buy it? Heck no, but at least it looks like what it is supposed to look like.

G said...

Does this ear of corn have glaucoma? Those eyes are really freaking me out, not to mention the bleeding lip.

Boozy Tooth said...

Is that a worm hole between the eyes? Yum! Sugar AND Protein!

Alixandra Hice
http://casahice.blogspot.com

Jen L. said...

Dear Lord. Why? WHYYYY?
Love the puns!

Unknown said...

You are the most fun to rad- more fun than looking at the hideous cakes. yes...Why CORN?

Epiphany said...

What sort of flavour is "yellow"??! Actually...maybe I don't want to know...

Anonymous said...

I don't think this one is that bad... it's sort of a weird choice of theme, but the cake doesn't look as awful as most cakes on here.

hillary said...

I actually think the corn kernels on this are pretty well executed, if a little too glistening. Clearly, the eyes got smudged on the plastic lid. I agree with others -- it's kinda cute, but why a corn cake?

HorribleLicensePlates said...

At least it's not brown corn. Then you would have another turd cake to deal with.

Anonymous said...

Being an Iowan, I think the cake is kind of cute....BUT, when I saw the eyes I thought they looked like they were infected with corn smut, a fungal disease that's kind of common in corn.

You know how when you open a beautiful looking ear of corn and it has something black and nasty growing inside. That's what the eyes reminded me of!

Unknown said...

Perhaps this was made for my alma mater : Concordia College in Moorhead, MN. Our mascot is actually an ear of corn. Go Cobbers!

*Michelle said...

Ok, so I am not sure what is up with the creepy smooshed eyes... or why in the world someone would make it... but I guess at least its jovial, and not bleeding to death or covered in excrement like so many other bizarre wrecks.

E.A.D. said...

Looking a little cross-eyed there. Maybe they should have given the ear some glasses.

Lauren The Artist said...

Maybe its from a town famous for its Corn Festival. Or maybe its from Nebraska's college town??

Angie McCullagh said...

Huh. It is a little past harvest time isn't it? Thanksgiving must be.

Angie (from over at www.HalfAssedKitchen.com)

An Apron Straitjacket said...

I like this little corn cake. I think he'd be quite the cutie to serve at Thanksgiving. Then again, I'm the mother of 5 so that pretty much makes me certifiably brain dead.

ipa said...

Ooooooo! I love this one but why the sticker that says "Yellow" I thought all corn was yellow! But I'm a city girl - what would I know!

Love your puns - but now I have to go to the store and buy more Attends!

Ruth said...

I think the cake is cute, just looks like someone accidentally smashed in the eyes.

Anonymous said...

Well I think he's adorable!

Kat said...

That's a really cute cake! Maybe for a Nebraska Cornhuskers celebration? Or a hay ride?

Anonymous said...

hahahaha someone punched this wreck in the face!

Alison said...

As a former midwestern farm girl, I love this cake! It's just too bad its eyes exploded, and that you can see the cake between some of the rows of kernels. But I still wouldn't classify this as a wreck.

Those puns, on the other hand...

sues2u2 said...

The puns had me! Although I gotta say that my youngest would be gaga over that cake. Anything that has corn in it (or looks like it might!) & she's there!!

Anonymous said...

At last! A cake you can give to your "stalker." (Hey, I didn't start the puns)

Bri said...

I lol'd :)

It wins a little bit. Cute. Pointless but cute.

What's with the brown string things on the eyes?


Word verification: corfines <--seems apt somehow.


Brianna McCarthy@Passion.Fruit
http://briannamccarthy.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I think it's cute, except for the smeared eyes.

Anonymous said...

At first I thought it was some kind of egg-salad creation. Really, those boiled egg eyes, the scrambled egg body - the stripe of ketchup smile. It looks like someone's idea of breakfast to me...

And not remotely like a cake

Kelly said...

Did you think of all those puns on your own, or did you have to Google "corn puns"? Just curious! That's talent! I can't imagine eating a cake shaped like a different food without thinking of the taste of that different food. So I might be hard pressed to eat the cake whilst thinking of buttery salted corn. (But maybe I could convince myself!)

Anonymous said...

There are children's books called "Veggie Tales". I'd bet they are infringing on that intellectual property.

DMW

Danielle said...

Love it. Can't help it. I'm from a town that has a corn festival.

becKie said...

was wondering about the eyes as well...

and omg stop with the corn jokes!!!
:(

Minerva said...

Wow. That's a-maize-ing.

writtenwyrdd said...

What really gets me is that it looks like it's bleeding between the eyes. Did someone shoot it to put it out of our misery?

shine said...

Why did they put dead roaches on its eyes? Why?

Unknown said...

Corny but good. can't really say this one's a wreck. Kinda like it. Except for the eyes. Would make a good birthday cake for a corn grower.:o)

Anonymous said...

There's just something wrong with making one food look like another food. When I see corn I want to taste corn - not chocolate and frosting. That just ruins the potential goodness the cake can taste.

Unknown said...

Sans face, this might be kind of cute. Right now it looks like an ear of corn that got shot between the eyes, though. That's what it gets for having/being such a big ear. It obviously heard something it shouldn't have...

Anonymous said...

I really could not come up with any idea of an occasion that would call for an ear of corn cake, that a real ear of corn would not be better!

So thanks to the readers who suggested a team mascot theme. Or the deliruim that comes with preparing thanksgiving meals for 5 kids.
Personally, I would still prefer real corn on the cob! Yum!

I will take my cakes in a form that is more cake worthy.

Alex

Donna M. said...

Suzy, what do you want on your birthday cake?
Corn.
Corn?
Yeah, Corn.

Anonymous said...

These wrecks never cease to amaize me.

HK said...

I think it's cute, smudged eyes and all. Almost too cute to eat! But then again, I'm a sucker for anthropomorphized inanimate objects.

@ipa: I think the "yellow" denotes that it's yellow cake inside (instead of, say, chocolate cake) and not the corn color itself.

Unicorn_Power said...

I'm not sure if this is a wreck or not. I mean, I could tell it was an ear of corn. But then there is the question of "WHY?!".

Nadia said...

aww, I think it's kinda cute..and if I bought cakes in the store instead of making them myself I would buy that..it would be perfect for dessert at a bbq.

Unknown said...

I like it. I think it's darling. Also? I think it'd be hilarious to bring to an impromptu birthday celebration, you know, for the guy who doesn't want a big deal made over his birthday. Well, you have to have CAKE, man. And, why not this random corncob cake? Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Shy-

Okay so at first I thought they made his eyes out of those stringy bits, the corn silk I think it's called, but then I noticed that the cake got squished and it's actually his brown eyes all mushed over the top... squishy cake.

Overmatter said...

Wow, that cake is a-maize-ing.

Persnickety Ticker said...

How is that a wreck? I think it is adorable!

So what if the eyes are a little wonky...I bet it still tastes nummy...

Kathy said...

Say, just a note, since yellow cake with chocolate frosting is a family favorite, that on a cake site you good viewers should know cake types. For the curious who didn't know yellow cake is a famous American traditional cake, which comes in Ducan Hines as well as Betty Crocker mixes, to just google image "yellow cake with chocolate frosting."

Anonymous said...

Aw, I think it's cute! I wonder, though, what's up with those eyeballs...

CrazyMom said...

I think it's cute but DH thinks it looks gross! lol

Barb said...

Well, obviously y'all need to watch Veggietales a little bit more often.

*thinks for a sec*

Okay, so I don't remember a corn character, but still, it's cute. The eyes are a lil goofy, but it's cute.

Mari said...

It looks like a pile of creamed corn. Was this in Nebraska or something?

Aviatrix said...

It's a fine cake that accidentally got its eyes smooshed by the cover, maybe when another cake was stacked on top of it. I bet if you wanted to buy that one they could fix up the eyes for you. They probably don't evenlook so bad one you take the cover off.

Corn is a very traditional American Thanksgiving food, although it used to be more red than yellow, so it makes sense that it would be available as a cake design. All Adither: I thought Amerian Thanksgiving was this late because they harvested late. It is supposed to be a harvest festival.

Anonymous said...

Lol! I really shouldnt be laughing, but it's just so punny.

~Karl

Nina said...

Hi there. I'm new. Who knew a blog about cakes could be SO funny. Your commentary is hilarious-I sprayed coffee all over the monitor while reading "Monkey See, Monkey Doo Doo." I need to go clean up now.

joyce said...

Corn?? Are you sure??? Looks more like a white pineapple. But, I agree with Arlynn---"maybe someone can find a baked potato cake, and maybe a T-bone steak cake, let's round out the meal" !!!

Mary A Brown said...

Don't let anyone "tassle" you about your choice! I think it's a"maize"ing! It's kind of a cute cake but personally I prefer a little "varigation" in my decoration. Yeah, not only am I from the Midwest but I'm a geneticist who knows way too much about corn!

Anonymous said...

Actually, if not for those unfortunate eyes, it would be kind of cute...it's kind of growing on me :3
Ami

Lori said...

Maybe they were trying to lure in the Veggie Tales fans? Who else would buy a corn cake???

Anonymous said...

Think it's sorta cute, actually. Not as bad looking as some of the cakes out there. Just wonder why an ear of corn? I could see that being popular in Nebraska!

Anonymous said...

I've never had the urge to butter my cake... until now!

Anonymous said...

Where was the cake from? Maybe it was a cake for the Nebraska Corn Huskers.

Anonymous said...

So it doesn't even have frosting? All of that is whipped topping? What's the point?

If I want yellow cake with whipped topping (not likely), I will buy Sara Lee and a tub of Cool Whip.

Nicole said...

It looks like he got flipped upside down and squished against the lid. Very professional.

Unknown said...

I know it took some effort.

I hope it didn't hurt.

Best wishes.

Chloe said...

To my eyes that looks like a pineapple!

I still don't like the idea of cakes in the shape of other foods. If I wanted to eat corn, I'd eat corn!

It's too confusing for my brain to compute.

Anonymous said...

I don't know why this one is prompting me to post more than once.

But I feel the need to further clarify the yellow cake questions.

Yellow cake is just plain cake. You don't have to buy it in a box mix. You can also make from scratch. It is the most basic recipe, using whole eggs, which is what provides the yellow color. White cake, in contrast, is made with only egg whites, to keep the color out. The flavor is simple, just a hint of vanilla. But mostly just good old sugar, flour, eggs, and milk. Also why it is so good with chocolate frosting.

And I still think this is a goofy concept for a cake, no matter how "cute" it is. Cake should not pose as other food!!!
Alex

Ps my word verification is cessem.
Please cessem with the corn puns! Ha!

FoolOnTheCoast said...

I think it's cute!
Not sure WHY you'd want such a cake.
But it's adorable nonetheless

Dea said...

You are so very very punny....

Poor guy, his little eyes got messed up....

And is he friends with the scary watermelon cake??? Why should food have faces???

TB Tabby said...

@Arlynn: We have seen a T-bone steak cake.

Kopperhead said...

Sheesh....if you want an ear of corn, get some Green Giant. A proper cake is a traditional geometric shape with some flowers and misspelled quotations on it. Right? Yeah, thought so. If you want eyes on your simulated cake veggies....get a potato.

Anonymous said...

You gotta wonder how long these ugly cakes actually sit on display until some sucker decides to buy the stale, aged thing. Wow. LOL.

Lady said...

I actually think this cake is rather adorable, even though the eye icing (eye-cing?) is smudged.

Anonymous said...

I think it's really cute! It's a shame about the eyes and the fact that it's iced with whipped topping (yuck!).

Have we hit the yearly allotment of puns yet? (please?)

Anonymous said...

@Iowagirl - Corn smut? Are you serious? I didn't know that had a name. And somehow Corn Smut sounds...disturbing? (I'm trying to avoid a pun about a Corno movie but I don't know if I can)

Carol Ann said...

For the record, the cake is from an Acme in Mays Landing, NJ (near Atlantic City). We're not particularly know for our corn; insomuch as any other vegetable in this "Garden State", and to my knowledge this isn't a mascot of any local institution.

I agree that he's not terribly wrecktastic (besides poopy eyes), just bewildering.

Anonymous said...

If they were trying to make a cake I wouldn't feel bad cutting into, they succeeded. I have no "awwww" feelings because it's so cute or well done. On the other hand, it doesn't look like poo on a pumpkin or worse, so I guess that's a good thing.

Anonymous said...

Aww. I think it's cute.

Anonymous said...

I actually think the cake isn't that bad.

I hope I'm not the only one, lol

Megan D. said...

Finally, a wreck that shows the terrible truth about genetic engineering. No I wanted an EAR of corn, not corn with EARS (or in this case, eyes). Sure, the puns were awful, but it's important to inform people about Frankenfoods, so I'll take the jokes with a grain of salt.

Anonymous said...

Cake not too bad, but I HATE that whipped topping type frosting. It's so gross and nausea-inducing.

Now, I love frosting most times. My grandmother made the most awesome cakes when I was a kid and to prevent finger-swipes, she made all the grandkids their own bowl of frosting. It didn't stop the finger swiping, but it was good nonetheless. I mean, forbidden frosting always tastes better!

But, that whipped stuff? Ewwww! I will totally refuse to eat cake that has that garbage on it!

Anonymous said...

That nasty tasting whipped cream frosting makes it a cake wreck - yuck. That stuff should be outlawed.

I saw a cake in the shape of a turkey breast at my grocery store bakery today. It was even stuffed. I had to do a double take and go in for a closer look. Kind of ruined my appetite for turkey dinner. Would have taken a picture if two bakery employees had not been there.

Wenonah4th said...

But the cake is actually pretty cute, at least nowhere near as bad as a lot of your wrecks!

Our life is a bowl of Barry's said...

You are too funny! Like your sense of humor....it is still intact..must not have kids bugging you at home all the time...or maybe you DO and that's why you're so funny!

The Honorable Mayor of Bethville said...

Cake that looks like vegetables. Definitely at the root of the obesity epidemic.

Anonymous said...

I think it's cute, but I do agree the choice of topic is odd and the eyes are pretty gross. Oh well, I would want this cake over the pooh cake from a couple of days ago! At least the corn is still on the ear. XD

Anonymous said...

yes the eyes are alittle mushed against the plastic and it doesnt make any sense to make a corn cake, but still i think its a pretty cute cake

The Ferber Family said...

WHAT IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY HAPPENED TO ITS EYES??? They appear to be smeared on the lid! Ewwww. Other than that, I must admit it's cute... useless perhaps... but cute.

SolaMommy said...

Its eyes are bleeding.

Anonymous said...

Well, I am only an ex-pat living in UK, so what do I know? But I am guessing an ear of corn could be suitable for a harvest festival party or even Thanksgiving, which was a harvest festival dinner so long ago...
But having proved my defense for the poor corn cake, I am still scratching my head, why make a corn decorated cake? It is just naff, yeah?
It is an excellent vehicle for your 'corny' jokes!

sweettc said...

Well you know its cute....I'm just confused. Why would you make a corn cake? Who buys a corn cake? How much icing is on that? It looks like a lot. I got my 5 year old son to look at it. He is confused also. He said Mommy why is that corn smiling?
I said I have no idea son. He said don't it know its gonna get eaten?

LMAO and then he walked away.

Candy said...

Living in Iowa, the best complement to this cake would be the BLT cake. I'm sure our state fair would sell thousands of these!

Milo and Joey Good said...

hell, the ONE veggie that you know isn't going to look different going in or coming out. seriously. maybe a yam next time?

Emily said...

Aside from the eyes getting sumdged on the lid, and a few little gaps between the kernels, I'm not seeing what's so bad about this one.

The Courteous Chihuahua said...

Hey, Lady!! (said in Jerry Lewis voice)

Eye-cing! good one!!!

I bet Jen's kicking herself over missing that one!!!

LOL

Anonymous said...

I think it's actually pretty cute. I'm going to guess that it was a special order that was ditched by the customer ... after they mashed the box lid and smeared the face.

Anonymous said...

This makes me wonder how a corn bread cake would taste?

Liz said...

Okay Okay!! Something about the "punting" and the corn cake all together made this one of THE BEST posts for me so far!! LMAO!

WAY TO GROW - hehe, okay, I got bad puns too

Happy Monday Evening!

pitchersbakery said...

its perfect timimg for thanksgiving wouldn't you want to have corn looking cakr after all that great thanksgiving dinner? i so know i would.......n't

http://pitcher.homestead.com/cake.html

Melinda said...

Don't let all the mean comments about puns dissaude you from doing them, you're awesome and they're hillarious!!

What no pun about kernel's?! Nothing?!

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. It has cataracts.

I'm sure there's some corn syrup in there somewhere so it's not completely false advertising.

But it is covered with whipped cream frosting which just can't compare to buttercream frosting. The thought of covering a cake with that much sugary disappointment makes my sweet tooth sad.

Anonymous said...

It's a cute cake except for the eyes which looked like they have been stabbed repeatably,or the frosting on the eyes got smeared but then that would mean that the pupils on the corn were red...

And the fact that the actual corn cob looks like spongebobs arm with a ton of flea bites on it.(I've been watching too many spongebob shows.)

And the husk kinda looks like a green stream flowing around the corn..Of course that is just my own opinion.

Jenn said...

very punny!

Anonymous said...

Huh. I guess the inspiration is kind of wrecktastic. But given the premise of 'make a cake that looks like an ear of corn', it's not that wrecky. Well, other than the smashed eyes. And the mouth that looks like an oh-crud-I'm-out-of-time-just-slap-it-on addition. And the leaves that look about the same.

Okay, I guess it is kind of a wreck. But I still think they did at least decently on the kernels.

Anonymous said...

you're crazy. i love reading your blogs and you always without fail make my day...but you're crazy

just thought i'd let you know

Anonymous said...

Funny

Anonymous said...

Well thank goodness there aren't ACTUAL CORN KERNELS in it....wait, I'll bet there are.

Maggie said...

I think it's kinda cute. It looks like the eye frosting stuck to the lid.

crazychickmia said...

Awwww!

Apart from the demented eyes it is really really cute!

Such a happy little wreck! :D

At least one can tell what it is!

jackie31337 said...

Arlynn said Wow... maybe someone can find a baked potato cake, and maybe a T-bone steak cake, let's round out the meal

Steak cake has been done. Anyone got a baked potato?

jackie31337 said...

Helly said But then again, I'm a sucker for anthropomorphized inanimate objects.

Don't anthropomorphize inanimate objects; they hate that! ;)

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful blog.

Anonymous said...

Could someone explain to me the need for a corn cake? It looks fat and ugly and completely inedible. ACK.... definitely a cake wreck, unless one wants to celebrate the harvesting of their corn field? The ripening of their sweet corn? The shaving of corns from their toes? No No No,.. absolutely no reason for this cake.

Stephanie said...

Those puns were so corny...they popped.

Actually, that corn cake would probably be a big hit here in Korea - we have corn ice cream, which comes in a shell shaped like an ear of corn.

Anonymous said...

ok ok...all of you need to do time in the punitentiary!

to the person from NJ - not known for corn?! Where TF have you been? Jersey corn is a must on the way back from the Shore in the summer

and the person who thought there was only yellow corn - there is white and blue (really more of a purple) and other colors...mmmm blue corn tortilla chips...but please - no representation in cake

Mandi said...

OH, Puns are hilarious! That was awesome. Thanks again, Jen!

Anonymous said...

why would anyone feel the need to make an ear of corn cake?

Jennifer said...

who the heck would want a corn cake? that's what i can't figure out! the only kind of corn cake i'd like is the corn cake side dish that chi-chi's mexican restaurant used to serve on its platters... and you can still buy it in the grocery store.. i love it!
and thanks to your site, i scope out the bakeries at the stores here just dying to find something worthy of sending to you!!!!

Caitie Miller said...

That corn is so dang cute.

Anonymous said...

Cutest corn cake ever! I just don't understand WHY it exists.

Anonymous said...

OK, whoever stalked out this work of art should be creamed, then canned. Sorry, but these were about the only 3 you missed. We won't even talk about tassles....

hamza farooq said...

really a nice post.its awesome