Saturday, November 8, 2008

I've Heard of Death Taking a Holiday, But This is Ridiculous

Saturday, November 8, 2008


Reader Emily A. made the mistake of ordering this cake over the phone for her friends BETH and Libby.

So, Emily, how old is Death this year?
SkippyMom said...

This made me LAUGH so hard. I am so glad her friends have a sense of humor [and wine] that they went ahead and took the cake to present.

Too funny.

Angie McCullagh said...

Death is eternal. Ew. I'm spooking myself out.

The cake is pretty otherwise though.

Angie (from over at www.HalfAssedKitchen.com)

Amanda said...

This is my favorite cake in awhile now. I want a Happy Birthday to Death cake when my birthday comes around. :D

Anonymous said...

I bet SOMEONE just got a new nickname!!! Probably one that will haunt here for years to come... (pun intended!!)

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday and Death just don't quite go in the same sentence very well.
That's funny. I love it.
~Amy B

Amy said...

Ok this is my first comment to this blog after discovering it a few weeks ago. I love this blog, but I think I love it a little too much lol. Last night I had a dream that we ordered a cake for some event and it was all wrong and messed up. I said to my family "oooh don't send it back, we can take a picture of that and submit it to cakewrecks!"

Too Funny LOL!

Amy

Sara said...

That is, actually, a really cute cake, otherwise. Heh Heh!

Anonymous said...

Maybe it should have really said Happy Birthday Death and Taxes!

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness, that's just stupid of the decorator. How could they possibly think someone wanted DEATH on their cake? Honestly. haha.
Thanks for a good laugh!

Anonymous said...

That's amazing.
It's almost too bad (almost), cause I really like that cake otherwise... even the lettering is kind of nice.

Rachael Scott said...

what the????

UnitOfForce said...

... And no one at the bakery thought to, I don't know, ASK about Death's birthday?

Trudi said...

I think this might be a fake. I mean, and I say this as a pro cake decorator, who puts their cake on a cake lifter before giving it to the customer? Those things aren't cheap. A pro would use a cardboard cake drum or similar. Looks (very well) homemade to me!

Boozy Tooth said...

Totally wrecked up on purpose. Nobody, nobody, NOBODY would shrug at writing "Happy Birthday Death" on a whimsical flowery cake without double-checking it out first.

Anonymous said...

That must be a bad omen to have "death" on your birthday cake :(

Marian Perera said...

Death is actually a character in Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, so when I saw this, I imagined someone making a cake for Death. He's very polite, so I'm sure he'd thank the person. Even if he couldn't actually eat any of it.

BUT WHO IS LIBBY? he would say as he sliced into the cake with his scythe.

Anonymous said...

That must have been a really bad phone connection.

micah said...

Peter Death Bredon Wimsey, perhaps?

Anonymous said...

This looks like a Discworld cake! :D (For those who don't understand what Discworld is, read some Terry Pratchett...)

Anonymous said...

I love how the cake is getting precariously close to the edge of the table it's on... something tells me no one would care much if it fell. LOL

Unknown said...

People think that is my name over the phone way too often - I don't get it. I also have gotten "Bath". Oh ya, those very popular girl names of "Death" and "Bath"...send the pizza to her, please.

Anonymous said...

Yet another cake that makes one ask the question: Doesn't anyone in the bakery stop to think, "Hmm, maybe this isn't what she wanted?"

Anonymous said...

Gee, that's what I call a great multi-purpose cake. Best wishes to the living and the not-so living.

sues2u2 said...

@ least Death & Libby got to share a cake that looks pretty yummy!

jackie31337 said...

PraiseFiddler said Last night I had a dream that we ordered a cake for some event and it was all wrong and messed up. I said to my family "oooh don't send it back, we can take a picture of that and submit it to cakewrecks!"

How funny, I've had dreams about cakewrecks, too! I blamed the cough medicine I'm taking, but maybe it's actually something far more sinister.

I would love to spot a wreck. Too bad I didn't know about this blog a few months ago when the Stockmann department store was having their semi-annual "Crazy Days"... there were some truly hideous cupcakes and other baked goods. They had obviously been decorated in industrial quantities in a huge rush for the sale.

utaduta said...

IDK, my BFF death? the store did not find the name death odd? humm...still so funny1 i want a death cake!

Anna said...

I sincerely hope that Beth and Libby are Terry Pratchett fans. This would have been the best cake ever, if so. If not, then they might have been creeped out.
I have to admit to snortlaughing to the point of frightening my dog.

Mama Red said...

As a Beth, I too have been victim of the seeming interchangeability of 'death' and 'beth'. There was also a Garbage Pail Kid trading card called Death Beth. That didn't help.

The Honorable Mayor of Bethville said...

Clearly short for Elizadeath. Or, as in my case, Deathany.

Marissa said...

Poor Beth

Bay in TN said...

Yep. This is why I don't go by Beth any more. The only other thing the bakery could have mistaken it for is "crystal meth." What does Jane rhyme with? Do cake decorators ever mistake "Britney" for "Osama bin Laden"? I think not.

Poor cake decorator -- it wasn't her fault!

This is my first time commenting, too -- I love this blog!

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha :D This made me laugh out loud

Ms Ashley said...

haha! Who would honestly think a person would be named death! I mean come on! Makes an awesome cake wreck though, that's for sure!

Katie said...

OMG, that was hilarious.

Shay said...

ahahaa! love it! It reminds me of an old episode of Just Shoot Me with Cheri Oteri.

cyber monkey said...

Haha! a Discworld cake :D

Anonymous said...

Look at the candles. Death is either 2 or 7 years old.

Anonymous said...

see, now as a cake decorator, this is one of the times you would question that inscription & call the customer to double check. it makes no sense for a decorator to put that on there. also, how do these customers ok that & leave the store with it? i worked at kmart in the bakery & i dont work there now but every customer we had had to look at the cake & initial it before they left. these people that are doing the stupid writing are absolute MORONS!!

Teddi Taylor said...

So, how old is death these days, anyway? And who is older? Libby or Death?

Kirsten said...

hahahahahahha! I hope that isn't some sort of foreshadowing!

whirlygirly said...

Shay, that's what I thought of too! I think that's the same one where they gave Nina the fake word-of-the-day calendar, which makes it my favorite episode EVER.

Maya: Any messages for me?
Cindy: No. Oh, wait. Death stopped by to say hello.
Maya: Death?
Cindy: Aha.
Maya: Death stopped by?
Cindy: To say hello.
Maya: Was it Beth?
Cindy: Could have been.
Maya: Was it a short redhead, or a tall guy with a sickle?
Cindy: It was Beth.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! That sucks because the cake is really cute otherwise. I second the comment above - why wouldn't the decorator double check that? No one is named Death.

Tina said...

LOL, too funny!!:-)

The Peacock Pearl said...

at least the handwriting was nice :)

jackie31337 said...

Ooh! Ooh! I belatedly realized that rather than cake or death, this is cake for death!

Also, the details of my cakewreck dream came back to me: it involved a horrific misspelling of "congratulations".

Anonymous said...

I used to work with a Bethany, who went by Beth. Every time we called for a taxi they thought her name was Death. So after a few times of that happening she just started giving them that as her name. lol
Great site btw!

Clare K. R. Miller said...

What, four Discworld comments and no Gaiman comments? I'm ashamed of you, Cake Wrecks commenters.

Gaiman's Death would be utterly delighted by this cake. She would be sure to find Libby so they could share it.

Anonymous said...

This is hilarious.

I have friends that think I have no sense of humour because I don't laugh at the same things they do. (Let's just say that there wasn't a lot of chortling from me at Van Wilder.) But my husband always knows from across the house when I'm reading Cake Wrecks. I'm so glad I found this site.

Brossettelewis said...

I want that cake!!!!!! I will be requesting it for my birth and death day!


<---I'm a Libby.

Bedlam said...

That is a weird statement to put on a birthday cake, maybe the person meant 'Beth',

Hyena Overlord said...

Too funny...my name is always spelled wrong too...

Cake looks yummy though

word verification is beases*LOL*

Anonymous said...

As a Beth, I too have been called Death, I've also been called Bath, Helga (wtf?) and my all time fav, Betch.

I always thought i had a speech impediment no one wanted to tell me about, now i see it just goes with the name. Let 'em eat cake i say!

Too freakin' funny.

Another Beth

Unknown said...

Totally off topic but you've been nominated for the 2008 Webblog awards :)

http://2008.weblogawards.org/nominations/best-food-blog/

Melissa said...

In this crazy little life that has us all wound up and spinning, it is so good to have Cake Wrecks to visit for a good laugh. I snort out loud at my monitor daily. Thank you.. I need it.. keep 'em coming!!

BTW.. What do you buy Death for a bday present?

~Melissa D.

ShopDownLite.com said...

Yeah thats like Final Destination written all over it - yikes :-)
Pretty darn funny though!
Stef
http://www.ShopDownLite.com

trash talk said...

Obviously older than dirt, judging by the bottom of that cake.

Anonymous said...

What a deppressing birthday cake. I want it for my birthday! (which is only 6 days away) ;D

Ms Unreliable said...

If the person who took this order didn't even think to ask again when they heard someone ordering a cake for Death, imagine the kind of orders they put through on a daily basis.

Anonymous said...

Could also be a Sandman reference instead of a Discworld one. As for the cake lifter, that looks like it may be a cardboard disc carefully covered in foil, or it could be that they transferred the cake to a round serving platter themselves.

And yes, I agree, someone just got a fantastic new nickname! "I am become Death, the destroyer of cake!"

Sarah said...

At least it's a nice cake!

But why wouldn't you check if it was actually Death?

Glory von Hathor said...

You know, in Welsh Beth means what? and its homonym Bedd means grave. So there's a whole world of potential confusion as yet unexploited for Beths...

MakingChanges said...

How do you possibly explain that to Beth?

starrypawz said...

ROFL. I'm finding that cake funnier than it probably should be. Maybe it's just the fact it's covered in flowers.... XD

-Resisting urge to make Discworldesque joke...- Too late someone else already did, but geez this cake would work in so well in a Discworld novel... XD I could just picture something like this popping up.

Anonymous said...

I totally thought of the "Deathday" party from Harry Potter. Remember when Nearly Headless Nick has the celebration of the date of his death?

Anonymous said...

You could not have posted this cake on a better day. Right after I saw it I went to a friend's 40th birthday party. And while technically my friend's name is Chris, since college he's been affectionately known as Death.

Perfect! :-D

Suzanne

Unknown said...

Libby better watch out. death is really not into sharing.

hamburke said...

when I read this, the first thing that popped into my head was, "aren't Beth and Libby both nicknames for Elizabeth?" I'm still trying to reconcile that but, I would have bought the cake for a laugh too and hoped that Beth and Libby could find the humor in it too.

Anonymous said...

Well, it IS in all capital letters... I think he made it for himself. Or as the Hogfather for some poor little Orphan Libby.

Anonymous said...

Believable. My husband, Mark, was once put on a restaurant waiting list as "Bark"...and that was after giving his name in person, not over the phone. Granted, "Death" should raise more red flags than than "Bark," but busy people don't always ask questions.

Peggy said...

The theological problems that are created when one starts to think that there may have been "the birth of death" just gives me a headache!

Death's birth? Life before Death? I'm going to go lie down.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Kenya...this cake definitely screams Discworld to me.

Becky said...

Hahaha, so goth!

Dea said...

Ok, seriously??? Wouldn't you, as a decorator, call up the customer and reconfirm the message when a pretty cake was supposed to have the word DEATH in it???? Quality Assurance people!!!

Jen said...

Um... at least they spelled "death" correctly.

Kanani said...

Ha ha ha haha... oh, I LOVE this site!

Unknown said...

Give me Libby or Give me Death!!!

misskate said...

I first saw this a couple hours ago and cracked up, almost to the point of choking on my tongue.
I moved on to other things, but cakewrecks came up in the url line as I typed in a different web address and I started laughing all over again.
It's gizmorox's fault if I die from the funny.

Jenifer said...

Is there a Cakes and Racks section to this blog? :)

Adhis said...

Still laughing. Oh, my stomach!

Now, you, too, can push up daisies and eat them too!

Jen said...

WOW! Just spit out my drink.

Anonymous said...

i was just looking at all these cakes but this one made me just about pee my pants laughing. I laughed when i read it but cracked up when i thought about Beths response to this disaster hahahaha

misskate said...

Just had to come back and look at my very favorite, never fails to make me laugh cake wreck. :)