Saturday, September 13, 2008

One Really IS the Loneliest Number

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Or at least the most pathetic-looking:


My guess is the decorator ran out of cupcakes towards the bottom (oh yes, this is another cupcake-cake monstrosity), which resulted in this wonky number 7 with tiny feet attached.

Apparently the decorator also ran out of 'y's; check out the inscription. "Happ 1st Birthday"? Y not?


Marissa H., I hear two can be as bad as one, but I'd have to see that 2 to believe it.
JRM said...

To quote my 3 year old daughter "Don't call that cake bad. It's a good cake and it has a number 1."

This is the same child who likes sparkly light up shoes and paints everything red with glitter, so take her comment for what it's worth.

Unknown said...

No Y! Poor Jace; I do hope his birthday was happ despite this cake.

Anonymous said...

I hate cupcake cakes, especially from a bakery. It's just sad. This one even more so.

Can you imagine having paid for this?! I'd cry whenever I looked back at those pictures.

icanhasyarn said...

That actually looks like a gallows to me!

Anonymous said...

I did a cupcake cake in a number 1 shape for my daughter's first birthday many years ago and it looked better than this! Maybe I should get call myself a professional and get paid for it?

nah. I'm way too lazy.

Anonymous said...

Yes, a lonely number, and doubtless the reason behind the choice of color... Well, let's hope the celebration was happ anyway.

Anonymous said...

He that is just the wa the do it at her baker, be happ!

Anonymous said...

That's just sad. I hate cupcake cakes, too.

Sarah said...

Good think the 1 year old Jace, cant read yet. And I'm sure at that age he didnt really care what it looked like. As long as he got to eat it with his hands.

Sara said...

I wonder if that '1' was trying to double as an upside-down 'J' for little Jace.

Well, probably not, but it could do that just about as well. ;)

sues2u2 said...

ummm, maybe the decorator grew up speaking another language w/o a "y" in it? Hmmm, my son's Blues Clues cake 10 years ago was that color however so is Blue!

Anonymous said...

I knew this was the perfect place to come and get a nice laugh to start my birthday out on the right foot. In addition to the laugh (and I do agree with Icanhasyarn that this one looks like a gallows, which is a particularly horrific motif for a birthday cake), I also have the comfort of knowing my birthday cake - since I will be making it myself - will look ever so much more festive and happ.

Hyla said...

I thought it was made with a "J" cake pan. :/
~Hyla
http://earthyfinds.blogspot.com

Jill in MA said...

Your comments are hilarious! What a great blog you have here!

sheree said...

oh wow. I really hope jace still had a happ birthday. Poor kid.

LdybugSammi said...

OMG this is the funniest blog ever!

Anonymous said...

I have a legitimate question:

Why do so many people hate cupcake cakes?

I am dead serious on this one. I think they can be fun but are often poorly executed. Can a cupcake cake hater shed some light for me?

Thanks!

Lyz said...

I would totally turn this cake upside down and call it a "J" for Jace.

Thank goodness he's one and not three - they start to care about their cakes then.

Meichelle said...

Hahahahahaha!!! So funn ... (without the Y of course)

SolaMommy said...

Poor Jace :(

Anonymous said...

one..one ugly cake. bwah ha ha ha ha!

the color scheme reminds me of those terrible powder blue 80's baseball uniforms.

yuck.

Miranda said...

Why all the hate for cupcake cakes? I mean, I wouldn't have one for a wedding cake or anything, but I think they can be kind of fun when they're done well. My only issue with them is that there tends to be more than the usual amount of frosting, which ... YMMV, but for me, more than a quarter inch frosting thickness is entirely too much.

mr ryce said...

lol this is some funny stuff

Anonymous said...

yes, i agree it looks like a gallows!! maybe they were going to play hangman as a game at the birthday party?
i don't get the little blob of 4 cupcakes off to the side, with the candle and the lettering all squished together. there was plenty of space on the cake itself and those extra cupcakes could have been used to balance out the bottom of the cake.
decimal point?

Anonymous said...

Maybe this is one of those visual illusions like you see on a football pitch. Perhaps the angle from which you look at it, maybe someone could see 1? ...Like from way, way, way across the room?

Anonymous said...

With icing that blue, think of all of the Smurf poo after!!

Anonymous said...

I like cupcake cakes, because while cupcakes are fabulous, sometimes you just want a tableau you can't put on a cupcake, and this allows for a regular cake experience without the hassle and dishwashing of regular cake.

This cake, though? Not so much.

Artfulife said...

This is funny, I actually thought it was for a "7" year olds birthday before I read on. I love your blog. Every time I read it, I cry, because I am laughing soooo hard.

Anonymous said...

Ummm... if you turned it upside down, it would be an L, not a J.

Helen Ann said...

I agree with the folks who are questioning the cupcake hating. LOL. The first time I saw one I thought it was a pretty clever idea...And a heck of a lot easier to deal with in a classroom setting than a regular cake that you have to try and cut evenly.

That said, I do hope that Jace felt completely happy on his b-day and not just happ. :)

Unknown said...

I'm curious....I know that you say these cakes have to be professional and have to be paid for, but what forms of proof are people giving you? I cannot believe you think this cake was done by a professional. It's not the first time either. I'm curious....why does it have to be professional anyway? A funny/ugly/demented cake is still going to be fun to look at. Just my honest opinion.

Anonymous said...

You would think that they would look at it before they started icing it.

Anonymous said...

Ok - for the record, yes this is a fugly cake (poor kid!)...

BUT....

I'm going to defend "cupcake cakes". My son had his 9th b-day party in a bowling alley, and we got a cupcake cake with a darth vader theme (the kids LOOOOOVES star wars).... it was tastefully done, and half of the cupcakes were white, half were chocolate - so everyone got what they wanted. AND, I didn't have to mess around with cutting cake and crap like that.

I mean - you have to be appropriate, right? A darth vader cupcake cake is GREAT for a 9 yo's party.... maybe not so for other occasions, though!

Anonymous said...

Maybe Jace is 1 month old and that would explain the .1 (decimal)?? Medical charts document a child's age as (ex) 3.3 for 3yrs/3mos. Next month he'll get a .2....

Love this site. Love the happ comments too!

Sara said...

That is quite a fugly cake!

Anonymous said...

EEWW! as a cupcake cake hater, there is too much frosting. It does not help in school unless you send a box of wipes and an extra 20 minutes for clean up in with your kid. Just send the regular cupcake with sprinkles folks, it works a lot better.

Anonymous said...

I dunno, guys. I'm all for being hard on the professional decorator who should know better, but a mom at home just trying to do something special for her kid?Yeah leaving off the Y was pretty obvious, but not everyone has the mad cake decorating skillz you pros (should) have.

Rachael M. said...

the official verdict from my household:

me: Look

Husband: What is that?

me: It's a one. For a first birthday.

Husband: Is that a cake?

me: yep. See? Happ first birthday.

Husband: I thought it was a pillow.

JP said...

It's sad to know a child celebrates like this his first birthday

Kopperhead said...

Oh my. This looks kinda painful. Not to mention that it is BLUE.

Anonymous said...

I've never had a cupcake "cake," but I agree they look totally unappetizing. I'm sure that most of the dis-appeal is the enormous amount of frosting that seems to be required to mortar them together.

I also dislike most of the very fancy ones made with what looks like sheets of soft plastic--ick. While they might be admirable for the detail and design (the well executed ones, that is), simply NONE of them look good to eat, to me; I keep thinking, "Well, nice sculpture, now where's the cake?" But then, I never was one of those kids who noshed on Play-Doh either, which that stuff also resembles... and I can't help but wonder does the poor cake smell like it too? Double Ewww!

Anonymous said...

I had a cupcake cake for my son's 13th b'day. It was a '1' and a '3' side by side, in his high school colors. At that age, they're past the character cakes and yet you want to do something cool (but not woman-undressing-cool...as in Tracy's cake). He and his friends thought it was neat but it didn't look like a solid mass of frosting either.

Pattern Patisserie said...

This blog is just too good to miss and your rapier wit has had me in stitches. May I please put a link on my blog to yours....this hearty humour needs to be shared far and wide. Thanks, Patricia

Anonymous said...

Wow. The sad thing about this is, it would have been so easy to make it look reasonable; just take 2 or three cupcakes off that strange blob at the top, use them to widen the feet and maybe add one to the "decimal point" so there's room for ALL the letters, and there you go. Instead, they made a weird hunchbacked seven with feet. Or maybe a gallows.

Anonymous said...

I love cakes.

-----------------
FDL4ALL.com

Anonymous said...

By the way, the child's name is Jacey, not Jace....

Brea Marie said...

Most grocery stores offer FREE first birthday cakes. But, if that would have been the free cake, I would have left the store without it! How sad. I bet they loved letting Jace shove his face with fistfulls of THAT cake.

Missy said...

Hilarious, as always! I just always feel bad for the recipients of the cakes you feature. Surely a 1 year old won't know the difference...but surely there were some disappointed parents. Still...very funny. :-)

Anonymous said...

my 5 year old daughter came over while I was looking at the cake and she said... "it's a number 7 cake" I didn't have the heart to tell her it was supposed to be a number 1.

Anonymous said...

I really liked your Three Dog Night reference. It made me feel so old and giggly.

Diana

Anonymous said...

Awww. This one isn't so bad.

Missy said...

Playing hangman at the Birtday par-tay? How flippin funny is that?

Gawd, I love this blog!

Dea said...

Eek! That is SO a 7 - if the person making this had done the top of the 1 properly, the bottom would have had enough room/cupcakes to be pulled off properly....

clueuin said...

Maybe he was trying to make an Italian number one with the dash across. Yes? Uh, no.
Well I like cupcakes just not with blue frosting. Ugg!
But hey, it's for a baby that just turn one. Happy Birthday boo, boo!
(Clueuin waves)

Peace,
Clueuin

marissa said...

Little Jace had a wonderful first birthday despite his fugly cake! I have always made my older sons cakes (I do a much better job I might add haha) and did not have time to make my youngest sons cake like I had planned and ordered this last minute... never again!! Thank goodness all Jace cared about was making a mess with this "mess" of a cake! =)

Jenn K said...

My 4 year old autistic son just said, "wow, what a grea 7!"