Saturday, June 28, 2008

And They Say Customer Service is Dead

Saturday, June 28, 2008


Apparently this cake was ordered from an upscale local bakery, but when the customer came to pick it up the order had been "misplaced". To remedy the situation, the decorator on duty - no doubt in a rush of self-sacrificing heroism - grabbed another finished order, wiped off the inscription with a paper towel, and wrote what you see.

So, on top of the big cloudy wiped-up area, the inscription is misspelled and in quotation marks. And while we're on the topic, what is with the wide-spread love affair between cake-decorators and quotation marks? Is it written on the order that way? Are they just practicing their mad piping skilz? Or do they assume everything written in icing is somehow less sincere? (I "Love" You, "Happy" Birthday, Thanks for Being Our "Dad", etc)

At any rate, let's all "Congraniate" "Nicole" and "Mark" on finding the best "customer service" in town. And guys, we mean that. "Really".
Anonymous said...

What's even sadder, is that "Mark" and "Nicole" were probably newly engaged, and this is the cake their friends and family saw at the engagement party. Sad.

Evan Waters said...

"What, it's not Magaggie's birthday?"

Anonymous said...

I thought it said "congraruations"... which is either a really bad parody of an Asian person or of Scooby-Doo.

Jaron Frost said...

Oh. My. Goodness.

I literally fell to the floor laughing when I saw this cake. My stomach and face are killing me. It's like the decorator had NO idea how to spell "congratulate," so when he got halfway through and figured out he was doomed, he sorta... mumbled his way through, hoping nobody would notice. *takes deep breath* Whoo.

Jessica said...

I sadly recognize this from a pastry shop where I worked in college. Several of my coworkers would "misplace" cake by not looking for it, and no one was ever trained to write on a cake (or spell congratulations) other than the bakers. If a person came in after they had gone for the day, it was a Russian Roulette of how it would look. For a while I was the only one who could do it after 3. Anyway I have no idea why it's green, since we were supposed to write everything in white or dark chocolate, so I assume that was lying around left over from another order. The place was basically a nightmare, and that so old the chocolate is separating masterpiece is definitely one of our available standards. I don't know why people like that place so much. But just remember, the next time you see awful writing on a decent cake, don't blame the decorator. Blame the dumb counter girl who was tasked to scribble on it for 6 dollars an hour.

Chris said...

Hey!!

Does anyone else see the image of our Blessed Virgin Mother Mary in the wiped-off section of the cake??

I smell a pilgrimage...

Anonymous said...

Are you sure it is not actually Mork?

Unknown said...

WOW...

That is so funny!! At first I didn't even notice the smeared background. (smh)

Anonymous said...

First off, this site is hilarious, and will make me feel great anytime I feel like my skills are lacking at work.

Second, As a cake decorator I can assure you that those of us who really care about our jobs do not ever use quotation marks.

keep up the funny!

tankgirl said...

OH MY GOD, I LOVE YOU!! I'm gonna get me a little bit 'o' cake wrecks every day!!

I especially like anonymous' comment about the Asian/Scooby Doo parody.

Nice Work!!

Anonymous said...

I didn't notice the smear at first either - just took it for a high-gloss finish - I should have know better... much, much better.

Skye said...

I, too, am baffled by overuse of quotation marks. My grandma actually writes all of her greeting cards like this: "Skye" (then the card message) "Merry Christmas!" Usually the important phrases are also underlined several times. Thankfully, my grandma is not a cake decorator.

Anna said...

At first, I thought this was a weird combination of Congratulations and Graduation. Which would have been... an interesting way to conserve icing. But now, I'm pretty sure we're congraruating Nioole and Mark. But sarcastically. So we're NOT congraruating them.

Catty said...

'Congraruation Nioole and Mork!'
:3

Amber said...

I have a lot of older relatives who will surround my name or their well wishes in quotes in greeting cards. Maybe it's a weird generational thing?

I used to work at a Shaw's bakery, and we always had a bag of green frosting with a writing tip to write on cakes. I think it's because it would match anything (most of the cakes had floral designs and so it would match the greenery).

Also, people would come in claiming they placed an order that none of us remembered taking. I think sometimes this was a ploy by someone to get a discount to "make up for losing my order" that they never placed.

Unknown said...

Hi. I wanted to drop you a quick note to express my thanks. I've been following your blog for a month or so and have picked up a ton of good information as well as enjoyed the way you've structured your site. I am attempting to run my own blog but I think its too general and I want to focus more on smaller topics. Being all things to all people is not all that its cracked up to be.

Term Papers